Thursday, May 4, 2023

PIGMASTER - Live November 4th, 1995 @ Vertex, Rochester, NY [AUDIENCE]

 It's Thursday, the day I now use to post recordings specifically from lesser known bands.  This one is a local band from the city I grew up in, Rochester, New York.  The band is called PIGMASTER.  They are a weirdo metal band, a genre mashing anomaly that I would compare to Mr Bungle, though they sound nothing like Mr Bungle at all.  But they do jump from genre to genre, often times within the same song, while also incorporating bits they "borrow" from other older songs by far more popular bands.  They were a very fun live band.  And I needed that in 1995.  When I grew up and was a teenager, art was far more important to me than music, so while I grew up on  metal, my dad listened to all the classic bands like Motorhead, Priest, Maiden, Sabbath, etc and all the neighborhood kids liked the "newer" bands like Megadeth and Slayer and anything on Headbanger's Ball on MTV, it wa smore background music that wasn't at the forefront of my attention.  I liked it because it helped give me some inspiration for drawing monsters, demons, zombies, etc.  When I did finally discover pot and music and made that my obsession, I was more of an alt-rock, grunge kid.  By the early 90's though my tastes were leaning towards heavy music and death metal was very much on the constant rotation.  In 1995 I was expanding into DIY grindcore and hardcore.  So basically, it was so much angry and serious music, all day every day.  Pigmaster came along and there shows were heavy, but also weird and silly and just plain fun, the kind of fun I wasn't used to seeing or hearing.  So I really took to them, heck, I'm not kidding when I say I needed them.  It helped that 1995 was also another peak year of taking acid, I was on a LOT of acid.  Acid and Pigmaster went very well together.  They didn't last long, playing their first show in early 1995 and then playing their last sometime in early 1997.  They self released a demo and a CD, appeared on a local compilation with their final recording, the brilliant song "Carl Sagan".  Luckily I was really, REALLY into them, so I'd record them whenever I could, or bother anyone else that happened to record them until they gave me a copy.  This was one of those recordings.  I believe this was from a video Spoth shot, and he had a decent camera that could sometimes capture decent enough audio, and he would dub those down to tape for me.  Thanks Spoth!  


Also, as an added bonus, Erik Burke from Lethargy, and I think Ozzy from Pigmaster had this band with one song called PHILLIP'S HEAD and this was the one time they performed it, just before the Pigmaster set.  I have no idea who else was in the band.  So yeah, here's PHILLIP'S HEAD and PIGMASTER.  If you like weird silly music, that's still heavy, check it out.    - DH


PHILLIP'S HEAD & PIGMASTER - November 4th, 1995 @ Vertex, Rochester, NY

Setlist:

PHILLIP'S HEAD

Cheese and Bacon


PIGMASTER

Forkhole Infection

Fishook Surprise

American Truckstop

Fuk Kitchen

Booze For X-Mas

Walrus Boy

Harry Wants...

Barry's Diner

City Of Pigs

Gas

European Love Box

Water









No comments:

Post a Comment